Saturday 13 December 2014

The Seven Churches in Revelation

I have heard just a few sermons preached from Revelation 2 and 3 over time. The names of the seven churches mentioned in these chapters are totally unfamiliar to me except for the church at Ephesus, to which the apostle Paul had written a letter included in the New Testament.  I am not sure if the apostle John (the writer of the Book of Revelation) had ever traveled to these churches. I am assuming that these were actual churches at the time. Unlike Paul, who had actually visited many churches through his 3 missionary journeys and subsequently wrote letters to them, John wrote 3 letters (1 John, 2 John, 3 John) and the Book of Revelation to remind and instruct all Christians of the good news of Jesus Christ: "We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. We write this to make our joy complete." (1 John 1:3-4)

As I once again read through these chapters, I am reminded of a few familiar verses. These messages perhaps addressed the problems of those individual churches at the time. But I think they are also relevant to me today.

(1) To the church in Ephesus (Revelation 2:1-7): "You have forsaken the love you had at first. Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place." I have learned that keeping the memories of the time I was in love with Jesus should be part of my christian discipline. I should be reminded how it all started and how Jesus has kept my faith over the years.
(2) To the church in Smyrna (Revelation 2:8-11): "Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown." Yes be faithful even when times are bad.
(3) To the church in Pergamum (Revelation 2:12-17): no specific verse comes to mind. The church in general remained true to God but needed to repent because some had turned to idolatry and sexual immorality. It contained a very strong warning - "Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth." Repentance is always good. Is there some wicked ways in me still?
(4) To the church in Thyatira (Revelation 2:18-29): I can't think of any particular verse either. The message is very similar to the message to the church in Pergamum. I am quite puzzled about this woman Jezebel: "You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophet. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality and the eating of food sacrificed to idols. I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds." The name of this person was probably not Jezebel but she behaved like the Jezebel in the Old Testament (2 King 9-10), who married King Ahab and introduced a new religious system to Israel, which brought them into false worship, idolatry. These are strong words about any church who tolerate/embrace an individual who clearly preaches a false message about Jesus! There is a limit to "brotherly love"! We must learn to speak the truth in love, even to someone who is popular in church today.
(5) To he church in Sardis (Revelation 3:1-6): "I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God.". Wow, what a reminder! The comfort of familiar rituals can easily lull us into a slumber. We need to stay awake to finish the "race before us" (2 Timothy 4:7).
(6) To the church in Philadelphia (Revelation 3:7-13): what a church! The name of the church (the love of brothers) reflects its character. The church has endured patiently and will be greatly rewarded: "Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth." and "I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown." Lord help me to be patient! Come soon!
(7) To the church in Laodicea (Revelation 3:14-22): This is perhaps the most famous church known for its lukewarm faith! "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth." and they did not even know it - "You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked." It's never a good idea to think that I am self-sufficient and no longer need to love of Christ, the encouragement of the Holy Spirit, and the sustaining power of God the Father.

This is probably the most famous verse in these chapters:
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. (Revelation 3:20)

Lord I have heard your "knock" today. I open the door to my heart and invite you in. I have enjoyed your fellowship this morning. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment